What is a fixed Rate and it's advantages and disadvantages
Fixed Rates - Good or Bad?
A fixed interest rate is an interest rate that remains the same for the term of a loan is fixed in for (e.g. 1 year, 3 years etc.). This means that the borrower will pay the same interest rate on the loan for the entire fixed period of the loan, regardless of changes in market interest rates. This contrasts with adjustable-rate (floating) loans, in which the interest rate can change over time based on changes in market interest rates.
The most common fixed mortgage terms are between 1 and 5 years. A fixed mortgage rate can provide borrowers with predictability and stability in their monthly mortgage payments, making budgeting and financial planning easier.
Advantages of a fixed interest rate:
- Predictability: Borrowers know exactly what their interest rate and monthly payment will be for the life of the loan, making budgeting and financial planning easier.
- Stability: A fixed interest rate provides stability in a volatile interest rate environment, protecting borrowers from potential rate hikes.
- Rate: Fixed rates are typically lower than adjustable (floating) rates, meaning borrowers may pay less in interest over the life of the loan.
Disadvantages of a fixed interest rate:
- Limited flexibility: Borrowers may be locked into a higher interest rate if rates fall after the loan is taken out.
- Lump repayments: Many lenders will limit extra 'lump' repayment amounts during a fixed period.
We hope you found the information helpful. If you have any further questions or would like to discuss your mortgage options, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. You can contact us by phone at 021 34 36 48 or by email at email@example.com.
We'd be happy to assist you with any of your mortgage needs.
Scott is wonderful to work with, which made the hole process so much easier and stress free. Highly qualified highly recommended. In there for the customersKarla Botting - 06 December 2023
Scott was fantastic to work with, honest and hard working, went the extra mile on everything, explained the nitty gritty jargon into easy to understand. Got us a great deal on our mortgage, put us with the right people. All in all 6 stars, if your buying then definitely call Scott at AMS!!Hamish Neilson - 06 December 2023
I used Scott at Advanced Mortgage Solutions for my first home purchase and am currently repurchasing a property through him again. Has been absolutely amazing and made the process extremely easy. Would recommend to anyone looking for a mortgage broker in Christchurch!Stacy Kamo - 29 November 2023
Scott and the team at Advanced Mortgage Solutions are great! Very knowledgeable and they make the house buying process very simple and easy to understand. Cannot recommend them enough!Scott Harris - 20 November 2023
Friendly and personalized service. Always happy to answer all my questions and love getting to see Gus when we meet in-person.Lisa French - 20 November 2023